The Benefits of a College Visit

I'm often asked by parents if it is necessary for their child to visit a college before they apply. My answer is always the same: Absolutely! I then explain that this is a place your child will spend the next 4 years. This will be their home - they must feel comfortable. My speech usually lasts a bit longer, explaining that they need to be able to convince the admissions office that this is really what they want, etc.

Recently, however, I witnessed a completely different reason: watching a child realize they had found their fit and fall in love...

On a blustery, cold, wet day, as Hurricane Ida marched across the Carolina's making her Atlantic Assault, I had the opportunity to watch a young man realize he had finally found a fit. Touring the school with umbrellas being blown askew, rain soaking our pants and shoes, and the wind making the temperature feel close to freezing, I watched as the smile on this young man's face continued to grow. With each new building and comment from the tour guide, I saw as the light began to brighten and he realized that this was the type of school he had dreamed of.

Somewhat on the quiet side, but well-mannered and polite, this young man tromped around the rain in a small group of women and girls. While the women chattered and asked questions, it was obvious that he was absorbing everything he heard and saw. Towards the end of the tour, I walked beside him and made a comment to the effect of what a great school and how you'd definitely need to consider putting this on a list. He then turned to me and smiled and said, "What's not to love?" At that moment, a last minute college visit culminated in that sought after experience of finally finding the college fit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Exams and the 2018 NC Teacher Walk-out

Up and Writing Again

Should you be filing a FAFSA?