Rethinking the Importance of Ranking

This is my comment to Robert Morse's Blog in US News and World Report

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/college-rankings-blog/2009/06/24/what-i-did-in-kazakhstan.html


For years now, I have eagerly awaited the ranking results of my graduate school alma mater. Having earned a terminal degree at the nation's topped rank graduate school of education, I am quite proud of the accomplishments of my former and current professors, as well as its former and current students. I was fortunate to have experienced first- hand the dedication and passion shown each day, as research was diligently conducted to improve all aspects of the educational process.


Presently, I am working as an Independent College Consultant in my own firm, CMH College Consulting. Instilled with the belief that all children can learn, and that each child learns differently, my first goal is to find a college that best fits the needs of the individual student. Not surprisingly, the goal of most parents and students is to obtain admittance into the highest ranked program possible. Given the GPA, rank, test scores, and accomplishments of many of my students, this has not been a problem. However, recently, I've begun to question the theory behind that decision.


With the exception of one, all my students have had as their first goal, in the college selection process, that the school be both top-ranked and well-known. One student, however, has opened my eyes to a whole new world in the college selection process. Although a good student, with good scores and well-rounded, this student's profile isn't quite "good enough" to get accepted to a top-ranked university. It was while searching for a school that fit this student that I discovered the Colleges That Change Lives.


In my search to meet this student's need, I have found a treasure trove of "lesser" known schools. Their accomplishments, however, can and often do rival the Ivy's. There is, I have discovered, much to be said for the small liberal arts college. Until recently, I would have, regrettably, agreed that a top-ranked university, with stellar scholars and ground-breaking research was the only way to go. Lately, I have begun to realize that not everyone who will succeed in life must have their academic needs met in a top-ranked research university. In fact, I have seen several "top-ranked" students struggle, and even fail at top-ranked schools, as they attempt to compete in large classes, taught by TA's, with cohorts of students that are just as bright, if not brighter, than they are.


I would be lying if I said that I will no longer eagerly wait each year to see how well Vanderbilt University has placed in the rankings. They are conducting ground-breaking research and I am proud to have been a part of it. I will however, continue to discover those lesser known schools, those colleges that truly do change lives. I will also actively research the smaller and regional colleges to insure my students have a place where they fit. For in the end, what really matters is the knowledge you obtain during your studies and how those experiences shape your performance beyond those college years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AP Exams and the 2018 NC Teacher Walk-out

Up and Writing Again

Should you be filing a FAFSA?